Tuesday, April 1, 2014

A Bit of Humor at My Expense

Ok, so today was one of those days where my students had every right to tease me some for what I said.  It was completely unintentional, but I stepped in it a bit.

This was my prototype.  My pretty one I left at school.
We were making the modified shutter foldable that is pictured.  I wanted the students to shut the flaps and label the front of the foldable.  So, I am just in teacher mode, giving directions and I said, "Shut your flaps and label the first boxes Properties. . ."  My room became quieter and I had one of my kiddos look at me and say, "Did you just tell us to shut up?"  I said, "No, I want you to shut your flaps and label the front".  As I was modeling how the flaps opened and shut, I realized how I sounded and turned beet red.  I told the kiddos that I suppose that didn't sound right, even if it was really what I wanted them to do.  There was parroting of "Shut your flaps" in different voices and when the classroom became a little loud, someone would  call out, "Shut your flaps".  Then the class giggled and I shook my head and said, "You are never going to let me live this down!" to all the smiling faces saying, "Nope!"

Ahh...nothing better some days than to be completely teased by your 8th graders.  Considering that they will leave me for high school in a couple of very short months, I am privileged to have had this memory today to think about and smile.

Anyone else have a favorite memory about their 8th grade students?  Love to hear your story!

2 comments:

  1. Haha! Too funny! My worst was with 7th graders, after we had been playing some dice/spinner games several days in a row for our statistics unit. Some had been partner games, some had been 4 players games. One of the students asked if we were in partners or groups for the day. Not thinking about how it sounded, I replied "no, we're just playing with ourselves today." I'm sure you can imagine the snickers this elicited from 13 year olds. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I can picture the snickers! That is too funny! Thanks for sharing your story. I'm glad to know that I am not alone! :)

      Delete