Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Absolute Value Inequalities

I opened up my teacher edition last night to review the lesson and make some notes.  I got to the rules of the absolute value inequalities and froze for a second.  The definition was terribly technical.  It took me two readings to make sure that I got it and my heart sank a little.  I started trying to figure out how I was going to get the kiddos to understand that definition.  I started looking through other resources that I had and found an explanation using two cases.  After reading that, I created the the following chart:
I got my examples from the McGraw-Hill Algebra 1 (2012 edition) textbook.
I left the case 1 and case 2 parts blank and worked them in class along with drawing the graph of the solution.  I like the idea of what I did, but I would like to redo it a bit.  I would take out the "and" and "or" part by the inequality symbols.  I don't think the kiddos got it right away.  Next time, I will have them write it by the solutions graph.  I am also not happy with the special cases part of the notes.  Oh well!  Summer is almost here and I am sure I'll find inspiration during it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment