Sunday, January 26, 2014

Percent of Change Monopoly

I have wanted to post this for over a week now so I can tell you how it went, but we keep having –40ºF wind chills in Minnesota and school is being cancelled.  Now, I'm not complaining about a little extra free time, but I have been dying to see how this works with the kiddos!  Anyway, since the school has already been called off for Monday and Tuesday looks iffy for having school, I thought I would just post it and let you all see it.  (For those of you who use Saxon, I designed this to go with Algebra I (2007), lesson 47.) 

I wanted to do something different with my Algebra students and reviewing percent of change.  So I was thinking of something different than just a retail store markup or discount.  I started thinking about real estate and that lead me to Monopoly!  I decided that I would have my kiddos play a traditional monopoly game with a small twist.  Before they could purchase a property, they would have to calculate a markup or markdown in their property value and pay the bank the correct amount.  Also, after reading the card, they can not decide that they don't want to purchase the property.  They must follow through with the deal.  Other than that, a normal monopoly game would be played.

I thought that the competition of the game and the novelty of the new cards would be more interesting than a worksheet full of problems.  I'll update after we play with any modifications or adjustments that we made. 

Here are the cards that I made.  I left it as an editable word document so you can adjust the cards if you wanted.  There are 22 cards, one for each property for sale on the board.  I didn't make them for railroads and utility companies.  I was just going to let those go for the listed price.

1 comment:

  1. What a great idea! And, very generous of you to share it with us.
    Thanks and stay warm! (believe me, I won't be complaining about NYC temperatures after reading this!