|photo credit: www.ew.com|
Since the worksheets eventually lead students to do a coloring sheet, I thought that maybe I could use the idea of uncovering a puzzle.
The first thing that I did was take the answer sheet and resize it to be 20 cm by 25 cm. I then printed it out and glued it to a piece of card stock.
Next, I made a 5 x 4 grid. Then I wrote the 12 correct answers in the boxes and 8 incorrect answers. All of the solutions and incorrect solutions came from the answer key.
Then I cut it apart into 25 separate squares.
So this is the starting point of the activity. I have the template for the answer sheet that students fill in at the end of this post. The basic idea is that students would start like the above picture. As they solve a problem, they will look at the board and then flip over the piece with their answer. If they don't see their answer, they will need to check their work for errors.
As students continue to solve problems and flip over pieces, they will start to see the pieces of the answer sheet in the incorrect order.
Students will also realize that there are 8 unused answers. Students will be asked to write a question/problem that has the unused answers as an answer.
After the questions/problems are written, all of the pieces can be flipped over. Students then have the job of getting the pieces into the correct order and making the picture.
The students' pictures will look like this when they are finished!
OK, so it's not exactly "Classic Concentration". While making this activity though, I did have a few thoughts about how to make another activity that would resemble the actual game more. I'm working on that one!
Here is the answer template that the students will be completing during the activity. Before the activity, I would type in the questions from Lisa's worksheet or I am thinking to change "Problem" to be "Important information to solve the problem". Then, I could just pass out the questions or put them on index cards.