Thursday, December 28, 2023

System of Equations Review

I have not written on this blog in years.  I made a new year's resolution to blog at least once a month about something we are doing in the classroom.  I am starting a bit early on my resolution with a very simple review that I am going to do with my students when i return after winter break.  

Before break, my 8th graders were working on substitution method for solving equations.  They were struggling and I know will need a review.  So, I came up with this very simple review.

The three systems of equations have one solution, no solution, and infinitely many solutions. Students will work together in teams of three to inspect the systems of equations and decide which one has which solution. 

Students will then use the whiteboards around the classroom to work together and solve the the equations for the value of the heart and the square.

I realize that I could have used the traditional x and y instead of the heart and square. I am noticing that the variables are more problematic for many of the students. So I am hoping to remove that barrier.

We will see how this activity works. I have an extension activity for my advanced students that is still in draft form. My idea is to give them 12 random equations and ask them to create systems of equations that have one solution. Then ask if any equations could be put together to create a system with no solution or infinitely many solutions. I still need to work on my equations, but this is my mock up.

I am excited to see what they can do and how much they remember. Maybe their brains had enough time to process what they learned before winter break! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment